Wednesday, April 11, 2007

And tomorrow...

I'm off to the CA to give a paper on what I've been up to for the last two and a half years. I hope no-one from the AHRC is there, they'll likely be grievously disappointed.

So I shall be presenting a paper entitled "Scorched Earth: Refiguring the landscape in Lucan and Statius". For those of you in the Classics department, yes, it is a version of the paper I gave in February, but cut from 50 minutes to 20. No, it doesn't have fewer meaninglessly long words like "problematised". Those are my only hope, as I try to blind my audience with jargon.

Other minor issue: I'm in the "slot of death" (thanks, Joe), which means I'm on 2nd last, in the last panel, on the last day. And the panel is made up of papers which bear no relation to mine ("Authors and Emperors", indeed). My only hope is that a) no-one will be in the audience, and b) no-one will know anything about Lucan, Statius, landscape, or, hopefully, Phaethon.

Fingers crossed!